It’s Official: The Petersfield School is Outstanding!
Students and staff at The Petersfield School (TPS), sponsored by the high-performing Bohunt Education Trust (BET), are celebrating today after being rated Outstanding in all areas by Ofsted.
Inspectors praised the School’s leadership, positive culture and strong outcomes and said the Principal, Mark Marande, had established “high expectations for the best teaching and learning”, resulting in the delivery of “outstanding educational experiences” for all students.
The report recognised BET’s support as “greatly benefitting the school”, with school leaders working closely with the Trust to drive further improvement and staff having access to a range of networking and development opportunities which has meant they are well-trained and “focused on excellent teaching”.
Ofsted also highlighted the importance of the School’s governing body, noting that governors “know the school well” and “empower and challenge school leaders effectively”, ensuring the School continues on its successful journey. This is reflected by governors seeing “no limit to the further success of the school”, with expectations continuing to rise.
Alongside high academic attainment, inspectors recognised the positive nature of the school environment, with TPS being a “calm, happy school” where students “thrive and enjoy their learning”. Inspectors also rated the behaviour of students as “outstanding”, highlighting how the “very positive” relationships between students and the staff, as well as personal development and welfare, with students being confident and independent learners.
The report also highlighted:
- Teachers use excellent subject knowledge and questioning very skilfully, which contributes to the “very strong progress” made by students across the curriculum, and exceptionally high standards in English and humanities.
- Disadvantaged students or students with SEN and/or disabilities achieve very strong outcomes. The quality of teaching and learning provided means that vulnerable groups are very well supported, and their outcomes across the curriculum are now in line with, or better than, other students.
- School leaders are highly effective at ensuring that excellent teaching is delivered. As a result, outcomes for students have rapidly improved across all year groups
- School prefects act as “very effective role-models” to younger students in the school and “students treat each other with high levels of respect”.
- An increasing number of students are now studying a more aspirational and challenging range of subjects. In turn, students’ outcomes are much stronger across these subjects than they have been in the past.
Mark Marande, Principal at The Petersfield School, said:
“I am absolutely thrilled that Ofsted have recognised the school as the outstanding learning community we know it to be. The students, staff, parents and governors have all worked exceptionally hard to create the successful school evident from this report. Everyone is incredibly proud of our school, and I am confident that TPS will continue to go from strength to strength.”
Chair of Governors, Ben Francombe, said:
“I feel extremely privileged to be part of this outstanding school. Ofsted refers to TPS as “a calm, happy school, where pupils thrive” and that beautifully sums-up the character of our community. There is a wonderful sense of possibility and opportunity, driven by excellent, dedicated staff, who love working at the school, and share a sense of mutual respect with students and parents. I congratulate the whole school for this remarkable achievement and I look forward to seeing it go from strength to strength”.
Neil Strowger, Chief Executive Officer of Bohunt Education Trust (BET) commented:
“Bohunt Education Trust strives to provide its schools with support and the tools necessary to be outstanding in their provision of educational excellence for students; this is a tremendous result and I am incredibly proud of everyone involved at TPS and the hard work invested.”